29 January 2012

The CVS Labyrinth

I used to enjoy my errands. I'm not much of a napper and Bee isn't much into errands, so for my break away from Tee I'll often go pick up anything that's on our list at the CVS nearby. For the last year that's been hard, though. This afternoon I found myself skirting through the isles avoiding the manager like I always do.

He and his girlfriend used to live in our apartment. Bee and I moved into their unit four months before the fire. They were moving out because of the man next door - the man who was the leading suspect in the arson.

While they're very nice people our small talk used to be - how do you like your new place? Good, how's the old place treating you?

I dread small talk now. Luckily when/if there is any he just asks me how my son is doing.

However, I can't stop thinking about how lucky they must feel.

...and it hurts.

The flashbacks have been getting pretty bad lately.

I've been working on these big KFLL pillows - they're what I want to perfect in the sewing department. KFLL stands for King Fog, Little Lily and are a creation thought up by Bee and me in memory of them.

Yesterday I was alone and cutting out my pattern when the single photograph I keep of them caught my eye and I cried for the first time in a long time. I am so sorry I failed them even if there's nothing I could have done differently. They shouldn't have had to die like that.

One year ago I had no idea how much my life was about to change.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx