22 December 2012

Chicken and Rice Casserole: Pinterest Recipe




chicken and rice casserole, recipe for chicken and rice casserole, ideas for chicken and rice, pinterest chicken and rice recipes
Chicken and Rice Casserole score: 5



"It's not good, but it isn't bad. I'd give it a five. Five! I mean, if you ever let me cook more than burgers I bet I'd get fives on some stuff, too. I wouldn't ever ask you to make it again." - The Husband


This was tonight's dinner review after I'd spotted something on Pinterest that I had all the ingredients for (which is saying a lot because we're at the back of our cabinets).

I have a love affair with casseroles. I grew up eating them, and they are so 1950's. Like, Donna Reed '50's. I don't buy paper books anymore, but I have picked up a few vintage cookbooks that sit in the cabinets where food should be (I'm being dramatic - we're getting a Peapod delivery tomorrow!). I got them specifically for all those casserole recipes, but they're super fattening! I guess people did more jumping-jacks in the '50's. I'm not sure.

So anyway, I found a Pin to this recipe and thought I'd give it a whirl. I'll be honest: it was a five. However, since I put over two hours into preparing it I have to say it felt like it should have been an eight+!

Chicken and Rice Casserole (and how I tweaked it):

3 cups cooked rice
8 oz jack cheese
2 cups cubed chicken
3/4 can evaporated milk (didn't want to go all the way - see upcoming "white gloop" comment)
1/2 sauteed onion with minced garlic and pinch of salt
1 red bell pepper, chopped (for color!)
2 eggs beaten lightly
Fresh parsley
Fresh ground pepper and breadcrumbs to top

My jalapenos had gone moldy, but they wouldn't have saved the day. Nor would cilantro (I only had parsley on hand from a batch of fantastic hummus I made last night).

I thought the bake time was INSANE for this dish so I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes...but maybe their directions are for the fresh-out-of-the-freezer version because yes, this would make a great freezer/desperation dish! Totally equal to grabbing frozen fish sticks or nuggets except a LOT more work.

"Casserole? I heard you say there was milk in it. [I had been talking to Tristan] That word just makes me think of white gloop. What else is going in it?" - The Husband

So you see I knew what I was getting myself into. Haha. Whatever, take it or leave it. It really wasn't that bad.......................but it wasn't that good, either!


post signature
(who can be found hunting all the good Pins here here and here!)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx