02 February 2013

Head of the Charles: Flashback Saturday




rowing head of the charles, lesley college rowing team, lesley university rowing team
Throwback: Rowing on the Charles Rivers, circa '97


Most people don't know that I was on the crew team in college. It has been one of the best experiences of my life. I didn't love getting up but I did love watching the sun rise over the Charles every morning and the sound of my oar dipping into the dark water - alone with the rhythmic counting and motions it takes to move a boat. It was slick.

Port-side, seat three.

On Saturdays we were allowed to sleep in until 6 a.m. then we'd meet at Harvard Stadium and run up the bleachers and down the stairs. It sounds easier than it was, I assure you.

Here is an entire article dedicated to Harvard's Stadium Runners! What a zany sub-culture. But I am fond of the memories; the burn.

These experiences are just one of the many things that made me fall in love with Cambridge.




Lesley University rowing, new hampshire rowing, crew team lesley college
New Hampshire Championships



Join me each Saturday as I flash back in time...

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx