28 February 2013

Mashed Cauliflower Recipe




recipe for mashed cauliflower, how to make mashed cauliflower, cauliflower instead of potatoes recipe
Mashed cauliflower is a delicious and healthier substitute for mashed potatoes!


I'm going to share a family recipe that goes all the way back to........me! I made it up, and therefore you'll know there are no proper measurements or rules for anything about this. I like to throw the basics in and then play around depending on what we're eating it with.

Mashed cauliflower is super delicious and way healthier than potatoes! We have eliminated that starch from our home except for our traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I use this as a side dish or as a layer in Shepherd's Pie (which I make totally wrong so I'll have to do a recipe for that one day, too!). I always keep an extra container of it in the fridge for my lunch that week (unless my husband gets to it first). It's a tasty snack cold or warm.

Recipe for Mashed Cauliflower




  • 1 head of cauliflower

  • Chop into even chunks

  • Steam until soft

  • You might want to separate it from the water, depending on how much is left. I use as little as possible so I can retain it and the vitamins that have boiled into it.

  • Run a knife through it, cutting it into bits

  • Dollop of plain Greek yogurt (judgement call!)

  • Drizzle of lemon juice

  • Fresh or powdered garlic

  • Milk to add slowly for consistency

  • Couple spoonfuls of tahini (optional but I recommend!)

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • Drizzle of olive oil

  • Whatever: I like to blend a fresh herb like cilantro or parsley along with the mess. This particular night I added some flax seed powder. Rosemary is good - thyme, oregano. Lemon pepper. Chili flakes, chili oil. Get creative!

  • Zoom it around in a food processor or blender until desired consistency




DONE! Eat it and share sparingly.



Oh, and Tristan helped me with the colander in his under the sea apron! We took this for my ever-growing recipe page but we'll model it here, too. Tahh-dahhh!






Van Dee's in the kitch!







No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx