15 February 2013

The Power of Fragrance




betsey johnson perfume, signature scent, memories of moms perfume, designer imposter spray, betsey johnson forever, fragrance triggers memories
My signature perfume: Betsey Johnson


Perfumery has always fascinated me. Recently I read an article in a parenting magazine about a mother's scent and how will your child remember you? I was intrigued. What are the scents in Tristan's life that will cause him to have those shadowy recollections of something he can't quite place - or something he knows exactly? like me?

Scent is the only one of our senses that travels directly to the brain - zap! Olfactory nerve. It can trigger memories and transport you to different times of your life. Have you ever smelled something and it's like you've been teleported? It's also been said to enhance learning. I wonder how I can work that into lesson plans...

This mamma will be the Original Betsey Johnson. They discontinued it so I've been trying to do the math in my head: how many bottles to make it through life??! I adore it! I've been wearing it since 2007 when it came out with no end in sight (unless I do the math wrong!). There have been others: Yves St. Laurent Parisian is a favorite and Chanel No. 5 reminds me of my mother and grandmother. I wear that on special occasions and call myself a Third Generation No. 5.

I had to work my way up the perfumery chain. I began my fragrant life with Tinkerbell perfume. I graduated to something with a gold cap and might have been Gloria Vanderbuilt. In junior high there was Designer Imposter Body Spray (!!!!!) in A Little Sexy, and Sunflowers in high school. Right before the fire my brother gave me the bottle of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth that I always wanted but never got! Alas. It was fun to own it for two weeks; I guess it wasn't meant to be.

OK. Ready for this flashback? Ohh yeah...aerosol knock-off perfume! 1989 I <3 you!



So what is your scent? Have you ever been to Fragrantica.com to study its notes? It's totally nerdy - and totally fascinating!!!! Promise. Do you prefer having a signature scent or do you like to pick one that matches your day?

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx